Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, May 3, 2013 at 17:14:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 36%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, May 3, 2013 at 17:14:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 445.43 meters/second, 1603.6 km/hour, 996.4 miles/hour or 865.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.61 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.61 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 26.8"||996.39 mi||west||0° 10' 58.6"||12.57 mi||north||996.66 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 35.2"||797.39 mi||east||4° 28' 15.2"||307.23 mi||north||857.25 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Fri 7:14 AM||1190 km||739 miles||643 nm||S|
|Kiritimati||Sat 7:14 AM||1200 km||746 miles||648 nm||NW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 7:14 AM||1855 km||1153 miles||1002 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 6:14 AM||2256 km||1402 miles||1218 nm||W|
|Apia||Sat 6:14 AM||2409 km||1497 miles||1301 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Fri 6:14 AM||2460 km||1529 miles||1328 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Fri 5:14 AM||2945 km||1830 miles||1590 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Fri 9:14 AM||2995 km||1861 miles||1617 nm||SE|
|Nukualofa||Sat 6:14 AM||3055 km||1898 miles||1650 nm||SW|
|Honolulu||Fri 7:14 AM||3207 km||1993 miles||1732 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.