Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, May 17, 2013 at 04:34:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, May 17, 2013 at 04:34:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 441.24 meters/second, 1588.5 km/hour, 987.0 miles/hour or 857.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.45 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||south||16.45 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 48.7"||986.87 mi||west||0° 08' 49.8"||10.12 mi||south||987.17 mi|
|24 hours||10° 51' 53.2"||737.11 mi||east||3° 46' 13.0"||259.12 mi||south||785.36 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Thu 6:34 PM||1522 km||946 miles||822 nm||NE|
|Kiritimati||Fri 6:34 PM||1538 km||956 miles||830 nm||SE|
|Baker Island||Thu 4:34 PM||1569 km||975 miles||847 nm||SW|
|Midway||Thu 5:34 PM||2136 km||1327 miles||1153 nm||NNW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 5:34 PM||2316 km||1439 miles||1251 nm||S|
|Majuro||Fri 4:34 PM||2373 km||1475 miles||1281 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Fri 4:34 PM||2405 km||1494 miles||1298 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 4:34 PM||2630 km||1634 miles||1420 nm||SW|
|Apia||Fri 5:34 PM||2813 km||1748 miles||1519 nm||S|
|Wake Island||Fri 4:34 PM||2901 km||1803 miles||1567 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.