Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 04:24:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 04:24:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.01 meters/second, 1605.6 km/hour, 997.7 miles/hour or 867.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 32.7"||16.63 mi||west||0° 00' 10.0"||0.19 mi||south||16.63 mi|
|1 hour||14° 32' 48.1"||997.64 mi||west||0° 10' 00.8"||11.47 mi||south||997.90 mi|
|24 hours||10° 56' 36.6"||750.54 mi||east||4° 10' 59.7"||287.47 mi||south||806.45 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sat 6:24 PM||695 km||432 miles||375 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Fri 6:24 PM||1567 km||974 miles||846 nm||NNW|
|Baker Island||Fri 4:24 PM||2562 km||1592 miles||1383 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 5:24 PM||2626 km||1632 miles||1418 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Fri 6:24 PM||2825 km||1755 miles||1525 nm||S|
|Apia||Sat 5:24 PM||3030 km||1883 miles||1636 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 6:24 PM||3230 km||2007 miles||1744 nm||S|
|Midway||Fri 5:24 PM||3316 km||2060 miles||1790 nm||NW|
|Alofi||Fri 5:24 PM||3386 km||2104 miles||1828 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 4:24 PM||3405 km||2116 miles||1839 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.