Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 51%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 4:27 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Friday, May 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.95 meters/second, 1612.6 km/hour, 1002.0 miles/hour or 870.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.70 mi||west||0° 00' 11.3"||0.22 mi||north||16.70 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 48.9"||1001.98 mi||west||0° 11' 25.6"||13.09 mi||north||1002.16 mi|
|24 hours||11° 28' 27.1"||792.15 mi||east||4° 33' 19.3"||312.99 mi||north||852.79 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rawaki||Sat 6:00 AM||608 km||378 miles||328 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sat 6:00 AM||922 km||573 miles||498 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 7:00 AM||1066 km||662 miles||575 nm||NE|
|Baker Island||Fri 5:00 AM||1317 km||818 miles||711 nm||WNW|
|Apia||Sat 6:00 AM||1343 km||835 miles||725 nm||SSW|
|Alofi||Fri 6:00 AM||1787 km||1110 miles||965 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 5:00 AM||1805 km||1121 miles||974 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 7:00 AM||2042 km||1269 miles||1103 nm||SSE|
|Nukualofa||Sat 6:00 AM||2223 km||1381 miles||1200 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Fri 7:00 AM||2306 km||1433 miles||1245 nm||SE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.