Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 08:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 89%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 08:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.40 meters/second, 1527.8 km/hour, 949.4 miles/hour or 825.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.1"||15.82 mi||west||0° 00' 05.9"||0.11 mi||north||15.82 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 09.6"||949.18 mi||west||0° 05' 59.6"||6.87 mi||north||949.46 mi|
|24 hours||14° 09' 26.5"||933.02 mi||east||2° 56' 10.7"||201.92 mi||north||961.64 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Sat 10:00 PM||405 km||252 miles||219 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Sat 10:00 PM||975 km||606 miles||526 nm||E|
|Alofi||Sat 9:00 PM||1189 km||739 miles||642 nm||W|
|Apia||Sun 9:00 PM||1459 km||907 miles||788 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 9:00 PM||1635 km||1016 miles||883 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sun 9:00 PM||1768 km||1099 miles||955 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 10:00 PM||2170 km||1349 miles||1172 nm||N|
|Suva||Sun 8:00 PM||2417 km||1502 miles||1305 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Sun 8:00 PM||2593 km||1611 miles||1400 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Sat 8:00 PM||2773 km||1723 miles||1498 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.