Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 07:44:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 07:44:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.53 meters/second, 1578.7 km/hour, 981.0 miles/hour or 852.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.4"||16.35 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.35 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 29.8"||980.89 mi||west||0° 10' 38.4"||12.19 mi||north||981.25 mi|
|24 hours||13° 08' 21.2"||892.44 mi||east||4° 29' 55.5"||309.20 mi||north||949.99 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Mon 11:44 PM||1597 km||992 miles||862 nm||S|
|Papeete||Mon 9:44 PM||2534 km||1574 miles||1368 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island||Tue 1:44 AM||2578 km||1602 miles||1392 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Tue 9:44 PM||3639 km||2261 miles||1965 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Mon 9:44 PM||3672 km||2282 miles||1983 nm||WSW|
|Galapagos Islands||Tue 1:44 AM||4288 km||2664 miles||2315 nm||ENE|
|Mexico City *||Tue 2:44 AM||4545 km||2824 miles||2454 nm||NE|
|Alofi||Mon 8:44 PM||4684 km||2910 miles||2529 nm||WSW|
|Apia||Tue 8:44 PM||4866 km||3024 miles||2627 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Mon 9:44 PM||4905 km||3048 miles||2649 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.