Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 08:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 08:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.60 meters/second, 1579.0 km/hour, 981.1 miles/hour or 852.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.4"||16.35 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.35 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 30.5"||980.98 mi||west||0° 10' 39.3"||12.21 mi||north||981.35 mi|
|24 hours||13° 08' 01.1"||892.13 mi||east||4° 30' 12.5"||309.49 mi||north||949.77 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Mon 10:30 PM||993 km||617 miles||536 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Midnight Mon-Tue||1570 km||976 miles||848 nm||S|
|Papeete||Mon 10:00 PM||2169 km||1348 miles||1171 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island||Tue 2:00 AM||2863 km||1779 miles||1546 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Tue 10:00 PM||3275 km||2035 miles||1768 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Mon 10:00 PM||3313 km||2059 miles||1789 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Mon 9:00 PM||4310 km||2678 miles||2327 nm||WSW|
|Apia||Tue 9:00 PM||4479 km||2783 miles||2419 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Mon 10:00 PM||4641 km||2884 miles||2506 nm||NW|
|Mexico City *||Tue 3:00 AM||4815 km||2992 miles||2600 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.