Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 08:50:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 99%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 08:50:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.84 meters/second, 1579.8 km/hour, 981.7 miles/hour or 853.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.4"||16.36 mi||west||0° 00' 10.6"||0.20 mi||north||16.36 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 33.5"||981.53 mi||west||0° 10' 42.6"||12.27 mi||north||981.89 mi|
|24 hours||13° 06' 52.0"||891.28 mi||east||4° 31' 09.3"||310.58 mi||north||949.24 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Mon 11:20 PM||424 km||264 miles||229 nm||ENE|
|Papeete||Mon 10:50 PM||1037 km||644 miles||560 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Tue 12:50 AM||2086 km||1296 miles||1127 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Tue 10:50 PM||2117 km||1316 miles||1143 nm||NW|
|Rarotonga||Mon 10:50 PM||2140 km||1330 miles||1156 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Mon 9:50 PM||3039 km||1889 miles||1641 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Tue 9:50 PM||3103 km||1928 miles||1676 nm||W|
|Apia||Tue 9:50 PM||3152 km||1959 miles||1702 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Tue 9:50 PM||3631 km||2256 miles||1960 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Mon 10:50 PM||3902 km||2425 miles||2107 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.