Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Monday, September 16, 2013 at 03:00:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 86%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Monday, September 16, 2013 at 03:00:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 435.25 meters/second, 1566.9 km/hour, 973.6 miles/hour or 846.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.6"||16.23 mi||west||0° 00' 09.2"||0.18 mi||north||16.23 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 45.3"||973.47 mi||west||0° 09' 16.4"||10.62 mi||north||973.83 mi|
|24 hours||13° 05' 21.3"||882.07 mi||east||4° 02' 09.3"||277.40 mi||north||930.80 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Galapagos Islands||Sun 9:00 PM||1345 km||836 miles||726 nm||N|
|Lima||Sun 10:00 PM||1436 km||892 miles||775 nm||E|
|Guayaquil||Sun 10:00 PM||1651 km||1026 miles||891 nm||NE|
|Quito||Sun 10:00 PM||1918 km||1192 miles||1036 nm||NE|
|La Paz||Sun 11:00 PM||2406 km||1495 miles||1299 nm||ESE|
|Rio Branco||Sun 11:00 PM||2465 km||1532 miles||1331 nm||E|
|Easter Island *||Sun 10:00 PM||2527 km||1570 miles||1364 nm||SW|
|San Jose||Sun 9:00 PM||2630 km||1634 miles||1420 nm||NNE|
|Bogota||Sun 10:00 PM||2646 km||1644 miles||1429 nm||NE|
|Panama||Sun 10:00 PM||2709 km||1683 miles||1463 nm||NNE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.