Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:38:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 95%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Friday, September 27, 2013 at 3:57 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:38:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 441.04 meters/second, 1587.7 km/hour, 986.6 miles/hour or 857.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.2"||16.44 mi||west||0° 00' 09.5"||0.18 mi||north||16.44 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 12.6"||986.44 mi||west||0° 09' 27.6"||10.84 mi||north||986.24 mi|
|24 hours||11° 54' 26.3"||809.88 mi||east||3° 27' 32.4"||237.77 mi||north||839.24 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sun 1:38 AM||1057 km||657 miles||571 nm||SSW|
|Honolulu||Sat 1:38 AM||1294 km||804 miles||699 nm||NNW|
|Baker Island||Fri 11:38 PM||2813 km||1748 miles||1519 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 12:38 AM||2966 km||1843 miles||1602 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Sat 1:38 AM||3127 km||1943 miles||1688 nm||S|
|Midway||Sat 12:38 AM||3192 km||1984 miles||1724 nm||NW|
|Apia||Sun 12:38 AM||3381 km||2101 miles||1825 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 1:38 AM||3582 km||2226 miles||1934 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 11:38 PM||3706 km||2303 miles||2001 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Sat 12:38 AM||3746 km||2328 miles||2023 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.