Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 23:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 8%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 23:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.12 meters/second, 1609.6 km/hour, 1000.2 miles/hour or 869.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.7"||16.67 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||south||16.67 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 48.1"||1000.06 mi||west||0° 10' 46.2"||12.33 mi||south||1000.00 mi|
|24 hours||11° 57' 45.1"||824.30 mi||east||4° 12' 42.0"||289.42 mi||south||870.43 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Lae||Fri 9:40 AM||285 km||177 miles||154 nm||SW|
|Port Moresby||Fri 9:40 AM||526 km||327 miles||284 nm||SSW|
|Mount Hagen||Fri 9:40 AM||526 km||327 miles||284 nm||W|
|Buka||Fri 9:40 AM||641 km||398 miles||346 nm||E|
|Arawa||Fri 9:40 AM||750 km||466 miles||405 nm||E|
|Gizo||Fri 10:40 AM||942 km||586 miles||509 nm||ESE|
|Jayapura||Fri 8:40 AM||951 km||591 miles||513 nm||WNW|
|Honiara||Fri 10:40 AM||1314 km||817 miles||710 nm||ESE|
|Cairns||Fri 9:40 AM||1360 km||845 miles||735 nm||SSW|
|Palikir||Fri 10:40 AM||1673 km||1040 miles||904 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.