Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 22:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 12%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Monday, December 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 22:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 428.09 meters/second, 1541.1 km/hour, 957.6 miles/hour or 832.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.96 mi||west||0° 00' 07.2"||0.14 mi||north||15.96 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 36.1"||957.41 mi||west||0° 07' 13.5"||8.28 mi||north||957.74 mi|
|24 hours||13° 49' 13.3"||918.25 mi||east||3° 19' 49.3"||228.97 mi||north||953.33 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 2:42 PM||1481 km||920 miles||800 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 5:42 PM||1600 km||994 miles||864 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Thu 12:42 PM||3207 km||1993 miles||1731 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Thu 4:42 PM||3687 km||2291 miles||1991 nm||ENE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 12:42 PM||4276 km||2657 miles||2309 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City||Thu 4:42 PM||4523 km||2810 miles||2442 nm||NNE|
|Lima||Thu 5:42 PM||4598 km||2857 miles||2483 nm||E|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:42 PM||4615 km||2868 miles||2492 nm||WNW|
|Guatemala||Thu 4:42 PM||4660 km||2896 miles||2516 nm||NE|
|San Salvador||Thu 4:42 PM||4691 km||2915 miles||2533 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.