Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 04:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 67%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Monday, December 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 04:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.86 meters/second, 1608.7 km/hour, 999.6 miles/hour or 868.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 31.1"||16.66 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.66 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 14.5"||999.57 mi||west||0° 10' 31.0"||12.04 mi||north||999.49 mi|
|24 hours||11° 28' 53.6"||790.37 mi||east||4° 00' 22.7"||275.33 mi||north||833.76 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Wed 6:40 PM||1598 km||993 miles||863 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Tue 6:40 PM||2326 km||1445 miles||1256 nm||NW|
|Papeete||Tue 6:40 PM||2653 km||1648 miles||1432 nm||SSW|
|Rarotonga||Tue 6:40 PM||3469 km||2156 miles||1873 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 5:40 PM||3502 km||2176 miles||1891 nm||WSW|
|Adamstown||Tue 8:40 PM||3695 km||2296 miles||1995 nm||SSE|
|Baker Island||Tue 4:40 PM||3720 km||2311 miles||2009 nm||W|
|Apia *||Wed 6:40 PM||3800 km||2361 miles||2052 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Tue 5:40 PM||3987 km||2478 miles||2153 nm||SW|
|Los Angeles||Tue 8:40 PM||4077 km||2534 miles||2202 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.