Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, December 28, 2013 at 17:30:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 19%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, December 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, December 28, 2013 at 17:30:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.17 meters/second, 1548.6 km/hour, 962.3 miles/hour or 836.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.8"||16.04 mi||west||0° 00' 07.1"||0.14 mi||south||16.04 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 45.3"||961.99 mi||west||0° 07' 06.0"||8.14 mi||south||961.74 mi|
|24 hours||13° 43' 05.2"||913.54 mi||east||2° 23' 47.0"||164.79 mi||south||922.73 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sat 8:00 AM||805 km||500 miles||435 nm||NNW|
|Gambier Islands||Sat 8:30 AM||841 km||523 miles||454 nm||SSE|
|Adamstown||Sat 9:30 AM||1239 km||770 miles||669 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sat 7:30 AM||1396 km||867 miles||754 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Sat 7:30 AM||2519 km||1565 miles||1360 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:30 AM||2995 km||1861 miles||1617 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 12:30 PM||3088 km||1919 miles||1667 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Sat 6:30 AM||3553 km||2208 miles||1918 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sun 7:30 AM||3786 km||2353 miles||2044 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 6:30 AM||3822 km||2375 miles||2064 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.