Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, December 28, 2013 at 17:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 19%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, December 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, December 28, 2013 at 17:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 430.13 meters/second, 1548.5 km/hour, 962.2 miles/hour or 836.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.8"||16.04 mi||west||0° 00' 07.1"||0.14 mi||south||16.04 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 44.5"||961.89 mi||west||0° 07' 05.4"||8.12 mi||south||961.65 mi|
|24 hours||13° 43' 24.3"||913.81 mi||east||2° 23' 25.5"||164.38 mi||south||922.93 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Sat 8:10 AM||748 km||465 miles||404 nm||N|
|Gambier Islands||Sat 8:40 AM||913 km||567 miles||493 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Sat 7:40 AM||1170 km||727 miles||632 nm||WSW|
|Adamstown||Sat 9:40 AM||1373 km||853 miles||741 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Sat 7:40 AM||2300 km||1429 miles||1242 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:40 AM||2822 km||1753 miles||1524 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 12:40 PM||3289 km||2044 miles||1776 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Sat 6:40 AM||3327 km||2067 miles||1797 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sun 7:40 AM||3557 km||2210 miles||1921 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Sun 6:40 AM||3594 km||2233 miles||1941 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.