Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 17:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 11%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, December 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 17:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.67 meters/second, 1525.2 km/hour, 947.7 miles/hour or 823.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.5"||15.80 mi||west||0° 00' 04.6"||0.09 mi||south||15.80 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 35.8"||947.43 mi||west||0° 04' 38.3"||5.32 mi||south||947.23 mi|
|24 hours||14° 29' 54.3"||953.24 mi||east||1° 16' 37.5"||87.84 mi||south||953.74 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Sun 9:40 AM||932 km||579 miles||503 nm||SSW|
|Easter Island *||Sun 12:40 PM||1893 km||1176 miles||1022 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Sun 7:40 AM||2600 km||1615 miles||1404 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Sun 7:40 AM||3652 km||2269 miles||1972 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 7:40 AM||4173 km||2593 miles||2253 nm||WNW|
|Galapagos Islands||Sun 11:40 AM||4316 km||2682 miles||2330 nm||ENE|
|Alofi||Sun 6:40 AM||4726 km||2936 miles||2552 nm||W|
|Apia *||Mon 7:40 AM||5013 km||3115 miles||2707 nm||W|
|Mexico City||Sun 11:40 AM||5025 km||3122 miles||2713 nm||NE|
|Lima||Sun 12:40 PM||5190 km||3225 miles||2802 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.