Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 23:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 1%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 23:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.73 meters/second, 1529.0 km/hour, 950.1 miles/hour or 825.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 22.8"||15.83 mi||west||0° 00' 06.0"||0.12 mi||north||15.83 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 57.2"||949.86 mi||west||0° 06' 10.1"||7.07 mi||north||950.15 mi|
|24 hours||14° 33' 27.5"||961.42 mi||east||3° 00' 38.1"||207.00 mi||north||990.68 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Alofi||Wed 12:42 PM||317 km||197 miles||171 nm||SW|
|Pago Pago||Wed 12:42 PM||477 km||297 miles||258 nm||NW|
|Apia *||Thu 1:42 PM||595 km||370 miles||321 nm||NW|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Thu 1:42 PM||639 km||397 miles||345 nm||NW|
|Neiafu||Thu 12:42 PM||698 km||434 miles||377 nm||WSW|
|Pangai||Thu 12:42 PM||770 km||479 miles||416 nm||WSW|
|Nukualofa||Thu 12:42 PM||910 km||565 miles||491 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 1:42 PM||924 km||574 miles||499 nm||ESE|
|Fakaofo||Thu 12:42 PM||965 km||600 miles||521 nm||NNW|
|Suva *||Thu 12:42 PM||1491 km||926 miles||805 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.