Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 00:14:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
The moon is so close to the Sun that it is probably impossible to see from earth
Fraction of moon illuminated: 1%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 00:14:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 424.86 meters/second, 1529.5 km/hour, 950.4 miles/hour or 825.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 23.0"||15.84 mi||west||0° 00' 06.1"||0.12 mi||north||15.84 mi|
|1 hour||14° 22' 58.7"||950.16 mi||west||0° 06' 14.0"||7.15 mi||north||950.45 mi|
|24 hours||14° 32' 42.7"||960.87 mi||east||3° 02' 01.4"||208.60 mi||north||990.50 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Neiafu||Thu 1:14 PM||185 km||115 miles||100 nm||SSE|
|Pangai||Thu 1:14 PM||290 km||180 miles||156 nm||SSE|
|Nukualofa||Thu 1:14 PM||430 km||267 miles||232 nm||S|
|Mata-Utu||Thu 12:14 PM||457 km||284 miles||247 nm||NNW|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Thu 2:14 PM||487 km||302 miles||263 nm||NE|
|Apia *||Thu 2:14 PM||509 km||316 miles||275 nm||NE|
|Pago Pago||Wed 1:14 PM||562 km||349 miles||304 nm||NE|
|Alofi||Wed 1:14 PM||568 km||353 miles||307 nm||ESE|
|Suva *||Thu 1:14 PM||710 km||441 miles||383 nm||W|
|Lautoka *||Thu 1:14 PM||808 km||502 miles||437 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.