Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 21:22:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 3%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 21:22:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.05 meters/second, 1551.8 km/hour, 964.2 miles/hour or 837.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.1"||16.07 mi||west||0° 00' 08.5"||0.16 mi||north||16.07 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 14.9"||964.12 mi||west||0° 08' 38.3"||9.90 mi||north||964.49 mi|
|24 hours||13° 57' 53.2"||934.72 mi||east||3° 51' 07.1"||264.81 mi||north||978.69 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 1:22 PM||1610 km||1000 miles||869 nm||SW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 4:22 PM||1727 km||1073 miles||933 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Thu 11:22 AM||3243 km||2015 miles||1751 nm||W|
|Galapagos Islands||Thu 3:22 PM||3610 km||2243 miles||1949 nm||ENE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 11:22 AM||4331 km||2691 miles||2338 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City||Thu 3:22 PM||4371 km||2716 miles||2360 nm||NNE|
|Guatemala||Thu 3:22 PM||4533 km||2816 miles||2447 nm||NE|
|Kiritimati||Fri 11:22 AM||4565 km||2836 miles||2465 nm||WNW|
|San Salvador||Thu 3:22 PM||4569 km||2839 miles||2467 nm||NE|
|Lima||Thu 4:22 PM||4589 km||2851 miles||2478 nm||E|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.