Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:12:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:12:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.31 meters/second, 1552.7 km/hour, 964.8 miles/hour or 838.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.08 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||north||16.08 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 18.4"||964.64 mi||west||0° 08' 43.2"||9.99 mi||north||965.01 mi|
|24 hours||13° 56' 24.3"||933.51 mi||east||3° 52' 42.8"||266.61 mi||north||977.98 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 2:12 PM||1175 km||730 miles||635 nm||S|
|Papeete||Thu 12:12 PM||1974 km||1227 miles||1066 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 5:12 PM||2676 km||1663 miles||1445 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 12:12 PM||3095 km||1923 miles||1671 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:12 PM||3387 km||2105 miles||1829 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Thu 11:12 AM||4131 km||2567 miles||2231 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 12:12 PM||4356 km||2707 miles||2352 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 11:12 AM||4373 km||2717 miles||2361 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Fri 11:12 AM||4689 km||2913 miles||2532 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Thu 12:12 PM||4907 km||3049 miles||2650 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.