Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:12:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:12:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.31 meters/second, 1552.7 km/hour, 964.8 miles/hour or 838.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.08 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||north||16.08 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 18.3"||964.63 mi||west||0° 08' 43.0"||9.99 mi||north||965.00 mi|
|24 hours||13° 56' 26.3"||933.54 mi||east||3° 52' 40.6"||266.57 mi||north||978.00 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Thu 2:12 PM||1172 km||728 miles||633 nm||S|
|Papeete||Thu 12:12 PM||2003 km||1244 miles||1081 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 5:12 PM||2652 km||1648 miles||1432 nm||SE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 12:12 PM||3123 km||1940 miles||1686 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:12 PM||3412 km||2120 miles||1843 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Thu 11:12 AM||4160 km||2585 miles||2246 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 12:12 PM||4385 km||2724 miles||2367 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Fri 11:12 AM||4717 km||2931 miles||2547 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Thu 12:12 PM||4925 km||3060 miles||2659 nm||NW|
|Mexico City||Thu 4:12 PM||5135 km||3191 miles||2773 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.