Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:22:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 22:22:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.36 meters/second, 1552.9 km/hour, 964.9 miles/hour or 838.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.08 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||north||16.08 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 19.1"||964.83 mi||west||0° 08' 44.1"||10.01 mi||north||965.20 mi|
|24 hours||13° 56' 06.4"||933.35 mi||east||3° 53' 01.8"||266.99 mi||north||977.92 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Thu 12:52 PM||871 km||541 miles||470 nm||NW|
|Gambier Islands||Thu 1:22 PM||964 km||599 miles||521 nm||S|
|Adamstown||Thu 2:22 PM||1232 km||766 miles||665 nm||SSE|
|Papeete||Thu 12:22 PM||1723 km||1070 miles||930 nm||WSW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 12:22 PM||2851 km||1771 miles||1539 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 5:22 PM||2893 km||1798 miles||1562 nm||ESE|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:22 PM||3165 km||1967 miles||1709 nm||WNW|
|Alofi||Thu 11:22 AM||3879 km||2410 miles||2095 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 12:22 PM||4098 km||2546 miles||2213 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 11:22 AM||4115 km||2557 miles||2222 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.