Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 23:32:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 23:32:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.73 meters/second, 1554.2 km/hour, 965.7 miles/hour or 839.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.09 mi||west||0° 00' 08.7"||0.17 mi||north||16.10 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 23.9"||965.58 mi||west||0° 08' 50.7"||10.14 mi||north||965.94 mi|
|24 hours||13° 54' 03.6"||931.70 mi||east||3° 55' 10.6"||269.43 mi||north||976.95 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Thu 1:32 PM||364 km||226 miles||196 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Thu 1:32 PM||1261 km||783 miles||681 nm||SW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 1:32 PM||1951 km||1212 miles||1053 nm||NNW|
|Alofi||Thu 12:32 PM||2154 km||1338 miles||1163 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Fri 1:32 PM||2317 km||1440 miles||1251 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 12:32 PM||2343 km||1456 miles||1265 nm||WNW|
|Adamstown||Thu 3:32 PM||2425 km||1507 miles||1309 nm||ESE|
|Nukualofa||Fri 12:32 PM||2741 km||1703 miles||1480 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Thu 11:32 AM||3299 km||2050 miles||1782 nm||WNW|
|Suva *||Fri 12:32 PM||3365 km||2091 miles||1817 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.