Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:20:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:20:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 431.99 meters/second, 1555.1 km/hour, 966.3 miles/hour or 839.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.11 mi||west||0° 00' 08.8"||0.17 mi||north||16.11 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 27.3"||966.22 mi||west||0° 08' 55.4"||10.23 mi||north||966.59 mi|
|24 hours||13° 52' 35.8"||930.62 mi||east||3° 56' 40.5"||271.17 mi||north||976.37 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:20 PM||816 km||507 miles||441 nm||SSE|
|Pago Pago||Thu 1:20 PM||927 km||576 miles||501 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 1:20 PM||991 km||616 miles||535 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Fri 2:20 PM||1045 km||649 miles||564 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:20 PM||1129 km||702 miles||610 nm||WNW|
|Papeete||Thu 2:20 PM||1392 km||865 miles||752 nm||ESE|
|Nukualofa||Fri 1:20 PM||1586 km||985 miles||856 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 2:20 PM||1854 km||1152 miles||1001 nm||NNE|
|Suva *||Fri 1:20 PM||2126 km||1321 miles||1148 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 12:20 PM||2132 km||1325 miles||1151 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.