Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 432.09 meters/second, 1555.5 km/hour, 966.6 miles/hour or 839.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.11 mi||west||0° 00' 08.8"||0.17 mi||north||16.11 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 28.8"||966.46 mi||west||0° 08' 57.2"||10.26 mi||north||966.83 mi|
|24 hours||13° 52' 00.0"||930.16 mi||east||3° 57' 16.8"||271.86 mi||north||976.10 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Pago Pago||Thu 1:40 PM||409 km||254 miles||221 nm||W|
|Apia *||Fri 2:40 PM||526 km||327 miles||284 nm||W|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Fri 2:40 PM||576 km||358 miles||311 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 1:40 PM||630 km||391 miles||340 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:40 PM||709 km||441 miles||383 nm||NW|
|Neiafu||Fri 1:40 PM||904 km||562 miles||488 nm||SW|
|Pangai||Fri 1:40 PM||1010 km||627 miles||545 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:40 PM||1089 km||676 miles||588 nm||SE|
|Nukualofa||Fri 1:40 PM||1170 km||727 miles||632 nm||SW|
|Suva *||Fri 1:40 PM||1629 km||1012 miles||879 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.