Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 4%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 00:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 432.10 meters/second, 1555.5 km/hour, 966.6 miles/hour or 839.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 24.3"||16.11 mi||west||0° 00' 08.8"||0.17 mi||north||16.11 mi|
|1 hour||14° 24' 28.8"||966.40 mi||west||0° 08' 57.4"||10.26 mi||north||966.77 mi|
|24 hours||13° 51' 58.3"||930.07 mi||east||3° 57' 18.3"||271.87 mi||north||976.02 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Pago Pago||Thu 1:42 PM||386 km||240 miles||209 nm||W|
|Apia *||Fri 2:42 PM||504 km||313 miles||272 nm||W|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Fri 2:42 PM||553 km||344 miles||299 nm||W|
|Alofi||Thu 1:42 PM||619 km||384 miles||334 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Fri 1:42 PM||694 km||431 miles||375 nm||NW|
|Neiafu||Fri 1:42 PM||886 km||550 miles||478 nm||SW|
|Pangai||Fri 1:42 PM||992 km||616 miles||536 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Thu 2:42 PM||1105 km||686 miles||596 nm||SE|
|Nukualofa||Fri 1:42 PM||1154 km||717 miles||623 nm||SW|
|Suva *||Fri 1:42 PM||1607 km||998 miles||868 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.