Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 22:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 9%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 22:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.89 meters/second, 1580.0 km/hour, 981.8 miles/hour or 853.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.1"||16.36 mi||west||0° 00' 10.5"||0.20 mi||north||16.36 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 07.5"||981.65 mi||west||0° 10' 37.7"||12.17 mi||north||982.01 mi|
|24 hours||13° 12' 39.7"||898.41 mi||east||4° 27' 45.0"||306.67 mi||north||954.59 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Fri 2:42 PM||1707 km||1061 miles||922 nm||SSW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 5:42 PM||2435 km||1513 miles||1315 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Fri 12:42 PM||2797 km||1738 miles||1510 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sat 12:42 PM||3872 km||2406 miles||2091 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 12:42 PM||3932 km||2443 miles||2123 nm||WSW|
|Galapagos Islands||Fri 4:42 PM||4021 km||2499 miles||2171 nm||ENE|
|Mexico City||Fri 4:42 PM||4339 km||2696 miles||2343 nm||NE|
|Guatemala||Fri 4:42 PM||4681 km||2909 miles||2528 nm||NE|
|San Salvador||Fri 4:42 PM||4746 km||2949 miles||2563 nm||NE|
|Managua||Fri 4:42 PM||4932 km||3064 miles||2663 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.