Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 23:52:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 23:52:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.23 meters/second, 1581.2 km/hour, 982.5 miles/hour or 853.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.1"||16.38 mi||west||0° 00' 10.6"||0.20 mi||north||16.38 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 12.9"||982.48 mi||west||0° 10' 41.7"||12.25 mi||north||982.83 mi|
|24 hours||13° 10' 39.0"||896.78 mi||east||4° 28' 51.2"||307.96 mi||north||953.35 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Taiohae||Fri 2:22 PM||264 km||164 miles||143 nm||NE|
|Papeete||Fri 1:52 PM||1180 km||733 miles||637 nm||SW|
|Adamstown||Fri 3:52 PM||2026 km||1259 miles||1094 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Sat 1:52 PM||2214 km||1376 miles||1196 nm||NW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 1:52 PM||2296 km||1427 miles||1240 nm||SW|
|Alofi||Fri 12:52 PM||3204 km||1991 miles||1730 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 12:52 PM||3263 km||2027 miles||1762 nm||W|
|Apia *||Sat 1:52 PM||3316 km||2061 miles||1791 nm||W|
|Nukualofa||Sat 12:52 PM||3795 km||2358 miles||2049 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Fri 6:52 PM||3847 km||2390 miles||2077 nm||ESE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.