Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 00:30:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 10%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 00:30:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 439.40 meters/second, 1581.8 km/hour, 982.9 miles/hour or 854.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.1"||16.38 mi||west||0° 00' 10.6"||0.20 mi||north||16.38 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 15.6"||982.80 mi||west||0° 10' 43.7"||12.29 mi||north||983.15 mi|
|24 hours||13° 09' 35.5"||895.83 mi||east||4° 29' 25.0"||308.58 mi||north||952.59 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Papeete||Fri 2:30 PM||812 km||505 miles||439 nm||S|
|Kiritimati||Sat 2:30 PM||1545 km||960 miles||834 nm||NNW|
|Rarotonga||Fri 2:30 PM||1579 km||981 miles||853 nm||SW|
|Fakaofo||Sat 1:30 PM||2291 km||1423 miles||1237 nm||W|
|Alofi||Fri 1:30 PM||2318 km||1440 miles||1252 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sat 2:30 PM||2363 km||1468 miles||1276 nm||WSW|
|Adamstown||Fri 4:30 PM||2698 km||1677 miles||1457 nm||SE|
|Nukualofa||Sat 1:30 PM||2917 km||1812 miles||1575 nm||WSW|
|Baker Island||Fri 12:30 PM||3113 km||1934 miles||1681 nm||WNW|
|Funafuti||Sat 12:30 PM||3345 km||2079 miles||1806 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.