Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 23:42:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 18%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 23:42:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 444.97 meters/second, 1601.9 km/hour, 995.4 miles/hour or 865.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.9"||16.59 mi||west||0° 00' 11.5"||0.22 mi||north||16.59 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 55.2"||995.29 mi||west||0° 11' 36.0"||13.28 mi||north||995.55 mi|
|24 hours||12° 33' 06.9"||863.65 mi||east||4° 41' 07.4"||321.94 mi||north||924.20 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Sat 3:42 PM||2168 km||1347 miles||1171 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Sat 1:42 PM||2878 km||1788 miles||1554 nm||WSW|
|Easter Island *||Sat 6:42 PM||2930 km||1820 miles||1582 nm||SE|
|Kiritimati||Sun 1:42 PM||3598 km||2235 miles||1943 nm||WNW|
|Rarotonga||Sat 1:42 PM||4025 km||2501 miles||2174 nm||WSW|
|Mexico City||Sat 5:42 PM||4056 km||2520 miles||2190 nm||NE|
|Galapagos Islands||Sat 5:42 PM||4070 km||2529 miles||2198 nm||E|
|Hermosillo||Sat 4:42 PM||4186 km||2601 miles||2260 nm||NNE|
|Los Angeles||Sat 3:42 PM||4494 km||2792 miles||2427 nm||N|
|Guatemala||Sat 5:42 PM||4515 km||2806 miles||2438 nm||ENE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.