Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 03:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 03:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.45 meters/second, 1610.8 km/hour, 1000.9 miles/hour or 869.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.68 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.68 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 23.6"||1000.83 mi||west||0° 11' 02.2"||12.64 mi||north||1000.79 mi|
|24 hours||11° 44' 20.7"||809.90 mi||east||4° 13' 01.4"||289.78 mi||north||857.48 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Tue 5:40 PM||299 km||186 miles||162 nm||SSE|
|Honolulu||Mon 5:40 PM||1904 km||1183 miles||1028 nm||N|
|Baker Island||Mon 3:40 PM||2012 km||1250 miles||1086 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Tue 4:40 PM||2031 km||1262 miles||1097 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Tue 5:40 PM||2448 km||1521 miles||1322 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Mon 5:40 PM||2602 km||1617 miles||1405 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Mon 5:40 PM||2807 km||1744 miles||1516 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Tue 3:40 PM||2811 km||1747 miles||1518 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Mon 4:40 PM||2838 km||1763 miles||1532 nm||SSW|
|Tarawa||Tue 3:40 PM||3148 km||1956 miles||1700 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.