Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 04:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 40%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 04:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.35 meters/second, 1610.5 km/hour, 1000.7 miles/hour or 869.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.68 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.68 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 25.2"||1000.62 mi||west||0° 11' 00.0"||12.60 mi||north||1000.58 mi|
|24 hours||11° 43' 52.4"||809.17 mi||east||4° 11' 55.2"||288.52 mi||north||856.28 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Mon 4:40 PM||575 km||357 miles||310 nm||SW|
|Rawaki||Tue 5:40 PM||934 km||581 miles||505 nm||SSE|
|Fakaofo||Tue 5:40 PM||1530 km||951 miles||826 nm||S|
|Tarawa||Tue 4:40 PM||1554 km||966 miles||839 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Tue 4:40 PM||1643 km||1021 miles||887 nm||SSW|
|Majuro||Tue 4:40 PM||1743 km||1083 miles||941 nm||W|
|Kiritimati||Tue 6:40 PM||1798 km||1117 miles||971 nm||E|
|Apia *||Tue 6:40 PM||2014 km||1251 miles||1087 nm||S|
|Yaren||Tue 4:40 PM||2262 km||1406 miles||1222 nm||WSW|
|Honolulu||Mon 6:40 PM||2516 km||1564 miles||1359 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.