Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 09:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 42%
|Previous phase||New Moon||Wednesday, January 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM|
|Next phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 09:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 446.83 meters/second, 1608.6 km/hour, 999.5 miles/hour or 868.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.4"||16.66 mi||west||0° 00' 10.7"||0.21 mi||north||16.66 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 32.9"||999.45 mi||west||0° 10' 48.1"||12.37 mi||north||999.38 mi|
|24 hours||11° 41' 45.2"||805.67 mi||east||4° 06' 09.9"||281.94 mi||north||850.45 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Pekan Tutong||Tue 5:40 PM||53 km||33 miles||29 nm||SSE|
|Bandar Seri Begawan||Tue 5:40 PM||69 km||43 miles||37 nm||ESE|
|Kuala Belait||Tue 5:40 PM||73 km||45 miles||39 nm||SSW|
|Miri||Tue 5:40 PM||102 km||63 miles||55 nm||SSW|
|Kota Kinabalu||Tue 5:40 PM||203 km||126 miles||110 nm||ENE|
|Kuching||Tue 5:40 PM||606 km||377 miles||327 nm||SW|
|Puerto Princesa||Tue 5:40 PM||692 km||430 miles||373 nm||NE|
|Balikpapan||Tue 5:40 PM||764 km||475 miles||413 nm||SSE|
|Pontianak||Tue 4:40 PM||808 km||502 miles||437 nm||SW|
|Palangka Raya||Tue 4:40 PM||823 km||511 miles||444 nm||S|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.