Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 04:30:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 50%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 04:30:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.97 meters/second, 1598.3 km/hour, 993.1 miles/hour or 863.0 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.55 mi||west||0° 00' 09.8"||0.19 mi||north||16.55 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 52.6"||993.02 mi||west||0° 09' 53.2"||11.32 mi||north||992.87 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 58.2"||794.74 mi||east||3° 40' 51.1"||252.99 mi||north||829.89 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Wed 6:30 PM||759 km||472 miles||410 nm||SSE|
|Honolulu||Tue 6:30 PM||1427 km||886 miles||770 nm||N|
|Baker Island||Tue 4:30 PM||2127 km||1322 miles||1148 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 5:30 PM||2384 km||1481 miles||1287 nm||SW|
|Apia *||Wed 6:30 PM||2833 km||1761 miles||1530 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Tue 5:30 PM||2902 km||1803 miles||1567 nm||NW|
|Funafuti||Wed 4:30 PM||3046 km||1893 miles||1645 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Tue 6:30 PM||3065 km||1905 miles||1655 nm||SSE|
|Tarawa||Wed 4:30 PM||3182 km||1977 miles||1718 nm||WSW|
|Alofi||Tue 5:30 PM||3266 km||2029 miles||1763 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.