Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 04:50:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 51%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 04:50:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.91 meters/second, 1598.1 km/hour, 993.0 miles/hour or 862.9 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.55 mi||west||0° 00' 09.8"||0.19 mi||north||16.55 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 52.8"||992.95 mi||west||0° 09' 52.0"||11.30 mi||north||992.80 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 55.6"||794.63 mi||east||3° 40' 21.4"||252.44 mi||north||829.61 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Wed 6:50 PM||1045 km||649 miles||564 nm||SE|
|Honolulu||Tue 6:50 PM||1560 km||969 miles||842 nm||NNE|
|Baker Island||Tue 4:50 PM||1662 km||1033 miles||898 nm||WSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 5:50 PM||2136 km||1327 miles||1153 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Tue 5:50 PM||2590 km||1610 miles||1399 nm||NNW|
|Apia *||Wed 6:50 PM||2618 km||1627 miles||1414 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Wed 4:50 PM||2649 km||1646 miles||1430 nm||SW|
|Tarawa||Wed 4:50 PM||2667 km||1657 miles||1440 nm||WSW|
|Majuro||Wed 4:50 PM||2738 km||1701 miles||1478 nm||W|
|Alofi||Tue 5:50 PM||3119 km||1938 miles||1684 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.