Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 05:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 51%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 05:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.75 meters/second, 1597.5 km/hour, 992.6 miles/hour or 862.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.54 mi||west||0° 00' 09.8"||0.19 mi||north||16.55 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 53.3"||992.60 mi||west||0° 09' 49.3"||11.25 mi||north||992.45 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 49.5"||794.23 mi||east||3° 39' 07.0"||251.02 mi||north||828.76 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Baker Island||Tue 5:40 PM||939 km||583 miles||507 nm||S|
|Majuro||Wed 5:40 PM||1410 km||876 miles||761 nm||W|
|Tarawa||Wed 5:40 PM||1450 km||901 miles||783 nm||WSW|
|Funafuti||Wed 5:40 PM||1971 km||1224 miles||1064 nm||SSW|
|Fakaofo||Wed 6:40 PM||2067 km||1284 miles||1116 nm||SSE|
|Yaren||Wed 5:40 PM||2141 km||1330 miles||1156 nm||WSW|
|Midway||Tue 6:40 PM||2167 km||1346 miles||1170 nm||N|
|Wake Island||Wed 5:40 PM||2199 km||1367 miles||1188 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Wed 7:40 PM||2212 km||1374 miles||1194 nm||ESE|
|Honolulu||Tue 7:40 PM||2406 km||1495 miles||1299 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.