Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 08:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 52%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:54 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 08:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 443.18 meters/second, 1595.5 km/hour, 991.4 miles/hour or 861.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.8"||16.52 mi||west||0° 00' 09.7"||0.18 mi||north||16.52 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 55.0"||991.25 mi||west||0° 09' 39.3"||11.06 mi||north||991.08 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 31.5"||792.78 mi||east||3° 34' 35.8"||245.83 mi||north||825.72 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Hagåtña||Wed 6:40 PM||657 km||408 miles||355 nm||NE|
|Melekeok||Wed 5:40 PM||686 km||426 miles||370 nm||WSW|
|Saipan||Wed 6:40 PM||870 km||541 miles||470 nm||NE|
|Jayapura||Wed 5:40 PM||1294 km||804 miles||699 nm||S|
|Manokwari||Wed 5:40 PM||1326 km||824 miles||716 nm||SSW|
|Davao||Wed 4:40 PM||1670 km||1038 miles||902 nm||W|
|General Santos||Wed 4:40 PM||1737 km||1079 miles||938 nm||W|
|Manado||Wed 4:40 PM||1943 km||1207 miles||1049 nm||WSW|
|Palikir||Wed 7:40 PM||1950 km||1212 miles||1053 nm||E|
|Port Moresby||Wed 6:40 PM||2183 km||1357 miles||1179 nm||SSE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.