Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 04:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 61%
|Previous phase||First Quarter||Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM|
|Next phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 04:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 438.86 meters/second, 1579.9 km/hour, 981.7 miles/hour or 853.1 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.9"||16.36 mi||west||0° 00' 08.4"||0.16 mi||north||16.36 mi|
|1 hour||14° 31' 00.1"||981.53 mi||west||0° 08' 23.4"||9.61 mi||north||981.32 mi|
|24 hours||11° 36' 40.0"||785.11 mi||east||3° 01' 25.7"||207.88 mi||north||807.49 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Wed 6:40 PM||1313 km||816 miles||709 nm||NW|
|Kiritimati||Thu 6:40 PM||1401 km||870 miles||756 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Wed 4:40 PM||3214 km||1997 miles||1735 nm||WSW|
|Papeete||Wed 6:40 PM||3287 km||2043 miles||1775 nm||S|
|Fakaofo||Thu 5:40 PM||3348 km||2081 miles||1808 nm||SW|
|Midway||Wed 5:40 PM||3355 km||2084 miles||1811 nm||NW|
|Apia *||Thu 6:40 PM||3750 km||2330 miles||2025 nm||SW|
|Rarotonga||Wed 6:40 PM||3849 km||2392 miles||2078 nm||SSW|
|San Francisco||Wed 8:40 PM||3940 km||2448 miles||2127 nm||NE|
|Los Angeles||Wed 8:40 PM||4022 km||2499 miles||2172 nm||NE|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.