Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 56%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:54 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Friday, January 24, 2014 at 5:21 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 440.58 meters/second, 1586.1 km/hour, 985.5 miles/hour or 856.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.42 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||south||16.43 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 40.2"||985.36 mi||west||0° 08' 57.4"||10.26 mi||south||985.16 mi|
|24 hours||12° 04' 15.4"||819.68 mi||east||3° 20' 26.1"||229.64 mi||south||846.32 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fakaofo||Fri 5:56 AM||186 km||116 miles||101 nm||NNE|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Fri 6:56 AM||309 km||192 miles||167 nm||S|
|Apia *||Fri 6:56 AM||314 km||195 miles||170 nm||S|
|Pago Pago||Thu 5:56 AM||378 km||235 miles||204 nm||SSE|
|Mata-Utu||Fri 4:56 AM||550 km||342 miles||297 nm||WSW|
|Rawaki||Fri 5:56 AM||811 km||504 miles||438 nm||N|
|Neiafu||Fri 5:56 AM||883 km||548 miles||477 nm||SSW|
|Alofi||Thu 5:56 AM||912 km||566 miles||492 nm||SSE|
|Pangai||Fri 5:56 AM||1017 km||632 miles||549 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Fri 4:56 AM||1035 km||643 miles||559 nm||WNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.