Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 56%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Friday, January 24, 2014 at 5:19 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 440.57 meters/second, 1586.1 km/hour, 985.5 miles/hour or 856.4 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 30.6"||16.42 mi||west||0° 00' 09.0"||0.17 mi||south||16.43 mi|
|1 hour||14° 30' 40.1"||985.35 mi||west||0° 08' 57.4"||10.26 mi||south||985.15 mi|
|24 hours||12° 04' 17.4"||819.71 mi||east||3° 20' 24.6"||229.61 mi||south||846.35 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Fakaofo||Fri 5:56 AM||197 km||122 miles||106 nm||NNE|
|Salelologa (Savai'i) *||Fri 6:56 AM||305 km||189 miles||165 nm||S|
|Apia *||Fri 6:56 AM||315 km||196 miles||170 nm||S|
|Pago Pago||Thu 5:56 AM||387 km||240 miles||209 nm||SSE|
|Mata-Utu||Fri 4:56 AM||524 km||326 miles||283 nm||WSW|
|Rawaki||Fri 5:56 AM||816 km||507 miles||441 nm||N|
|Neiafu||Fri 5:56 AM||875 km||544 miles||472 nm||SSW|
|Alofi||Thu 5:56 AM||918 km||570 miles||496 nm||SSE|
|Funafuti||Fri 4:56 AM||1006 km||625 miles||543 nm||WNW|
|Pangai||Fri 5:56 AM||1009 km||627 miles||545 nm||SSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.