Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 17:40:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 34%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Friday, January 24, 2014 at 5:19 AM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 17:40:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 427.16 meters/second, 1537.8 km/hour, 955.5 miles/hour or 830.3 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 26.8"||15.93 mi||west||0° 00' 05.5"||0.11 mi||south||15.93 mi|
|1 hour||14° 26' 46.2"||955.30 mi||west||0° 05' 32.4"||6.35 mi||south||955.08 mi|
|24 hours||13° 39' 49.6"||903.58 mi||east||1° 43' 55.5"||119.13 mi||south||907.10 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Rarotonga||Sat 7:40 AM||512 km||318 miles||276 nm||SSW|
|Papeete||Sat 7:40 AM||859 km||534 miles||464 nm||E|
|Alofi||Sat 6:40 AM||1318 km||819 miles||712 nm||WSW|
|Apia *||Sun 7:40 AM||1559 km||968 miles||842 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 6:40 AM||1702 km||1058 miles||919 nm||WNW|
|Nukualofa||Sun 6:40 AM||1901 km||1181 miles||1026 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 7:40 AM||2096 km||1302 miles||1132 nm||N|
|Suva||Sun 5:40 AM||2542 km||1579 miles||1372 nm||W|
|Funafuti||Sun 5:40 AM||2683 km||1667 miles||1449 nm||WNW|
|Baker Island||Sat 5:40 AM||2815 km||1749 miles||1520 nm||NW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.