Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 10:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 95%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 7:43 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 10:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 428.63 meters/second, 1543.1 km/hour, 958.8 miles/hour or 833.2 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 27.2"||15.98 mi||west||0° 00' 05.5"||0.11 mi||south||15.98 mi|
|1 hour||14° 27' 15.1"||958.57 mi||west||0° 05' 32.1"||6.34 mi||south||958.36 mi|
|24 hours||13° 19' 38.5"||883.87 mi||east||1° 44' 45.1"||120.06 mi||south||887.89 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Gambier Islands||Thu 1:56 AM||787 km||489 miles||425 nm||SSE|
|Taiohae||Thu 1:26 AM||854 km||531 miles||461 nm||NNW|
|Adamstown||Thu 2:56 AM||1234 km||767 miles||666 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Thu 12:56 AM||1266 km||787 miles||683 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Thu 12:56 AM||2379 km||1478 miles||1285 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Fri 12:56 AM||2964 km||1842 miles||1600 nm||NW|
|Easter Island *||Thu 5:56 AM||3150 km||1957 miles||1701 nm||ESE|
|Alofi||Wed 11:56 PM||3420 km||2125 miles||1847 nm||W|
|Apia||Thu 11:56 PM||3667 km||2278 miles||1980 nm||W|
|Fakaofo||Thu 11:56 PM||3716 km||2309 miles||2007 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.