Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, April 18, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 87%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 7:43 AM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, April 18, 2014 at 16:56:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 423.25 meters/second, 1523.7 km/hour, 946.8 miles/hour or 822.7 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.9"||15.78 mi||west||0° 00' 02.3"||0.05 mi||south||15.78 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 55.4"||946.52 mi||west||0° 02' 19.7"||2.67 mi||south||946.41 mi|
|24 hours||13° 44' 26.8"||901.20 mi||east||0° 23' 02.5"||26.41 mi||south||900.57 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Lindeman Island||Sat 2:56 AM||211 km||131 miles||114 nm||S|
|Townsville||Sat 2:56 AM||244 km||151 miles||132 nm||WSW|
|Cairns||Sat 2:56 AM||386 km||240 miles||209 nm||WNW|
|Port Moresby||Sat 2:56 AM||1025 km||637 miles||553 nm||N|
|Brisbane||Sat 2:56 AM||1071 km||665 miles||578 nm||SSE|
|Honiara||Sat 3:56 AM||1553 km||965 miles||839 nm||NE|
|Alice Springs||Sat 2:26 AM||1671 km||1039 miles||902 nm||WSW|
|Sydney||Sat 2:56 AM||1712 km||1063 miles||924 nm||S|
|Canberra||Sat 2:56 AM||1855 km||1153 miles||1002 nm||S|
|Jayapura||Sat 1:56 AM||1988 km||1235 miles||1074 nm||NNW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.