Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 11:48:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 83%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 11:48:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 425.71 meters/second, 1532.6 km/hour, 952.3 miles/hour or 827.5 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 25.0"||15.87 mi||west||0° 00' 04.9"||0.09 mi||north||15.87 mi|
|1 hour||14° 25' 03.6"||952.08 mi||west||0° 05' 00.3"||5.74 mi||north||952.31 mi|
|24 hours||13° 46' 49.7"||910.02 mi||east||2° 30' 00.0"||171.90 mi||north||931.89 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Adamstown||Sun 3:48 AM||957 km||595 miles||517 nm||SSW|
|Easter Island||Sun 5:48 AM||2025 km||1258 miles||1093 nm||SE|
|Papeete||Sun 1:48 AM||2504 km||1556 miles||1352 nm||W|
|Rarotonga||Sun 1:48 AM||3572 km||2220 miles||1929 nm||WSW|
|Kiritimati||Mon 1:48 AM||4043 km||2512 miles||2183 nm||WNW|
|Galapagos Islands||Sun 5:48 AM||4377 km||2720 miles||2364 nm||ENE|
|Alofi||Sun 12:48 AM||4640 km||2883 miles||2505 nm||W|
|Apia||Mon 12:48 AM||4915 km||3054 miles||2654 nm||W|
|Mexico City *||Sun 6:48 AM||5015 km||3116 miles||2708 nm||NE|
|Nukualofa||Mon 12:48 AM||5173 km||3214 miles||2793 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.