Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Friday, May 23, 2014 at 18:28:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 26%
|Previous phase||Third Quarter||Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM|
|Next phase||New Moon||Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Friday, May 23, 2014 at 18:28:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 447.90 meters/second, 1612.4 km/hour, 1001.9 miles/hour or 870.6 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.9"||16.70 mi||west||0° 00' 11.0"||0.21 mi||north||16.70 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 58.4"||1001.90 mi||west||0° 11' 02.4"||12.64 mi||north||1001.90 mi|
|24 hours||11° 59' 37.7"||828.76 mi||east||4° 17' 06.8"||294.47 mi||north||877.42 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Kiritimati||Sat 8:28 AM||135 km||84 miles||73 nm||SE|
|Fakaofo||Sat 7:28 AM||1966 km||1221 miles||1061 nm||SW|
|Baker Island||Fri 6:28 AM||2051 km||1274 miles||1107 nm||W|
|Honolulu||Fri 8:28 AM||2060 km||1280 miles||1112 nm||N|
|Apia||Sat 7:28 AM||2362 km||1468 miles||1276 nm||SW|
|Papeete||Fri 8:28 AM||2431 km||1511 miles||1313 nm||SSE|
|Rarotonga||Fri 8:28 AM||2653 km||1648 miles||1432 nm||S|
|Alofi||Fri 7:28 AM||2725 km||1693 miles||1472 nm||SSW|
|Funafuti||Sat 6:28 AM||2795 km||1737 miles||1509 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Sat 6:28 AM||3205 km||1991 miles||1730 nm||W|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.