Moon Light World Map
The map below shows where the Moon is visible from the Earth, depending on weather conditions and moon phases.
The white dot symbolizes the position of the Moon, and the yellow sun symbolizes the position of the sun.
Change time and date
|< 4 weeks||4 weeks >||March equinox|
|< 1 day||1 day >||June solstice|
|< 12 hours||12 hours >||September equinox|
|< 6 hours||6 hours >||December solstice|
|< 1 hour||1 hour >||Now/Current time|
|< 10 minutes||10 minutes >|
- The bright part of the map shows where the moon is over the horizon on Saturday, August 16, 2014 at 16:30:00 UTC.
- The Sun's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Sun will be at its zenith (directly overhead) in relation to an observer.
- The Moon's position is marked with this symbol: . At this location, the Moon will be at its zenith in relation to an observer. Note that the symbol is not showing the current phase of the Moon.
Fraction of moon illuminated: 59%
|Previous phase||Full Moon||Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM|
|Next phase||Third Quarter||Sunday, August 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM|
Position of the Moon
On Saturday, August 16, 2014 at 16:30:00 UTC the Moon is at its zenith at
The ground speed of the movement is currently 434.63 meters/second, 1564.7 km/hour, 972.2 miles/hour or 844.8 knots. The table below shows the Moon position compared to the time and date above:
|Time||Longitude difference||Latitude difference||Total|
|1 minute||0° 14' 29.1"||16.20 mi||west||0° 00' 07.2"||0.14 mi||north||16.20 mi|
|1 hour||14° 29' 11.2"||972.05 mi||west||0° 07' 07.8"||8.17 mi||north||971.83 mi|
|24 hours||12° 16' 49.7"||824.06 mi||east||2° 26' 44.8"||168.16 mi||north||836.48 mi|
Locations with the moon near zenith
The following table shows 10 locations with moon near zenith position in the sky.
|Honolulu||Sat 6:30 AM||1574 km||978 miles||850 nm||ENE|
|Baker Island||Sat 4:30 AM||1663 km||1034 miles||898 nm||SSW|
|Midway||Sat 5:30 AM||1715 km||1066 miles||926 nm||NNW|
|Kiritimati||Sun 6:30 AM||1990 km||1237 miles||1075 nm||SE|
|Majuro||Sun 4:30 AM||2128 km||1322 miles||1149 nm||WSW|
|Tarawa||Sun 4:30 AM||2280 km||1417 miles||1231 nm||SW|
|Wake Island||Sun 4:30 AM||2489 km||1546 miles||1344 nm||WNW|
|Fakaofo||Sun 5:30 AM||2592 km||1611 miles||1400 nm||S|
|Funafuti||Sun 4:30 AM||2737 km||1701 miles||1478 nm||SSW|
|Yaren||Sun 4:30 AM||2954 km||1836 miles||1595 nm||WSW|
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
Related time zone tools
- The World Clock – Current times around the world
- Personal World Clock – Shows just the cities you need
- Meeting Planner – Find a suitable time for an international meeting
- Time Zone Converter – If it is 3 pm in New York, what time is it in Sydney?
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.