Jul 16, 1935 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Thule Air Base, Greenland
- Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
- Fresno, California, U.S.A.
- Alofi, Niue
- Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- Baker Lake, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Taiohae, Marquesas Islands, France
- Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Rarotonga, Cook Islands
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Partial eclipse visible in:
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Madrid, Spain
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Brussels, Belgium
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Baker Island, U.S.A.
- Funafuti, Tuvalu
- Kingston, Norfolk Island
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Noumea, New Caledonia, France
- Port Vila, Vanuatu
- Resolute Bay, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Lord Howe Island, Lord Howe Island, Australia
- Tarawa, Kiribati
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Jul 16 at 2:18 AM||Jul 15 at 10:18 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Jul 16 at 3:15 AM||Jul 15 at 11:15 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Jul 16 at 4:10 AM||Jul 16 at 12:10 AM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Jul 16 at 4:59 AM||Jul 16 at 12:59 AM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Jul 16 at 5:48 AM||Jul 16 at 1:48 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Jul 16 at 6:43 AM||Jul 16 at 2:43 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Jul 16 at 7:40 AM||Jul 16 at 3:40 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is over the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.