Nov 7 – Nov 8, 1938 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Parts of Asia
- East in North America
- East in South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Georgetown, Guyana
- Nassau, Bahamas
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Asuncion, Paraguay
- Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Caracas, Venezuela
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Kingston, Jamaica
- Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
- Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- La Paz, Bolivia
Partial eclipse visible in:
- New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
- Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.A.
- Lima, Lima, Peru
- Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.
- Managua, Nicaragua
- Bismarck, North Dakota, U.S.A.
- Merida, Yucatán, Mexico
- Belmopan, Belize
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.A.
- Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
- Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 7:41 PM||Nov 7 at 2:41 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 8:42 PM||Nov 7 at 3:42 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 9:46 PM||Nov 7 at 4:46 PM||No, under horizon|
|Maximum Eclipse||Nov 7 at 10:26 PM||Nov 7 at 5:26 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Nov 7 at 11:05 PM||Nov 7 at 6:05 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Nov 8 at 12:10 AM||Nov 7 at 7:10 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Nov 8 at 1:10 AM||Nov 7 at 8:10 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Washington DC some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.