Nov 7 - Nov 8, 1938 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Much of Asia
- North/East Australia
- Much of North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations being able to see at least parts of the Total part.
- Moscow, Russia
- Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Paris, France
- New Delhi, Delhi, India
- Rome, Italy
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Brussels, Belgium
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Cairo, Egypt
- Ankara, Turkey
- Madrid, Spain
- Athens, Greece
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Bangkok, Thailand
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Beijing, Beijing Municipality, China
- Jakarta, Jakarta Special Capital Region, Indonesia
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Tokyo, Japan
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
- Bismarck, North Dakota, U.S.A.
- Belmopan, Belize
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*||Visible in New York|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 7:41 PM||Nov 7 at 2:41 PM||No, below horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 8:42 PM||Nov 7 at 3:42 PM||No, below horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Nov 7 at 9:46 PM||Nov 7 at 4:46 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Nov 7 at 10:26 PM||Nov 7 at 5:26 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Nov 7 at 11:05 PM||Nov 7 at 6:05 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Nov 8 at 12:10 AM||Nov 7 at 7:10 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Nov 8 at 1:10 AM||Nov 7 at 8:10 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is below the horizon in New York some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.