May 3, 1939 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- South/East Europe
- South/East Asia
- Much of Africa
- West in North America
- Indian Ocean
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations being able to see at least parts of the Total part.
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
- New Delhi, Delhi, India
- Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Hanoi, Vietnam
- Beijing, China
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Manila, Philippines
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Yangon, Myanmar
- Tokyo, Japan
- Seoul, South Korea
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Jakarta, Jakarta Special Capital Region, Indonesia
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Tehran, Iran
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Olympia, Washington, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Nome, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Harare, Zimbabwe
- Gaborone, Botswana
- Lusaka, Zambia
- Kampala, Uganda
- Lubumbashi, Congo Dem.Rep.
- Kigali, Rwanda
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||May 3 at 12:25 PM||May 3 at 4:25 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||May 3 at 1:28 PM||May 3 at 5:28 AM||No, below horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||May 3 at 2:41 PM||May 3 at 6:41 AM||No, below horizon|
|Maximum Eclipse||May 3 at 3:11 PM||May 3 at 7:11 AM||No, below horizon|
|Full Eclipse ends||May 3 at 3:40 PM||May 3 at 7:40 AM||No, below horizon|
|Partial Eclipse ends||May 3 at 4:53 PM||May 3 at 8:53 AM||No, below horizon|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||May 3 at 5:56 PM||May 3 at 9:56 AM||No, below horizon|
* The Moon is below the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.