Aug 26, 1942 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Much of Europe
- South/East Asia
- South/West North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations being able to see at least parts of the Total part.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Dublin, Ireland
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Athens, Greece
- Brussels, Belgium
- Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Budapest, Hungary
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Caracas, Venezuela
- Rome, Italy
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Madrid, Spain
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Paris, France
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Moscow, Russia
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Aden, Yemen
- Antananarivo, Madagascar
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Aklavik, Northwest Territories, Canada
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 1:04 AM||Aug 25 at 9:04 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 2:03 AM||Aug 25 at 10:03 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 3:02 AM||Aug 25 at 11:02 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Aug 26 at 3:48 AM||Aug 25 at 11:48 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 4:34 AM||Aug 26 at 12:34 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 5:33 AM||Aug 26 at 1:33 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 6:32 AM||Aug 26 at 2:32 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is above the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.