Aug 26, 1942 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Papeete, Tahiti, France
- Thule Air Base, Greenland
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Baker Lake, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Resolute Bay, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
- Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Billings, Montana, U.S.A.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Madrid, Spain
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Brussels, Belgium
- London, England, United Kingdom
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Cairo, Egypt
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
- Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Aklavik, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Alofi, Niue
- Chatham Islands, Chatham Islands, New Zealand
- Apia, Samoa
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Fakaofo, Tokelau, Tokelau
- Rawaki, Phoenix Islands, Kiribati
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Nukualofa, Tonga
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 1:04 AM||Aug 25 at 6:04 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 2:03 AM||Aug 25 at 7:03 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Aug 26 at 3:02 AM||Aug 25 at 8:02 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Aug 26 at 3:48 AM||Aug 25 at 8:48 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 4:34 AM||Aug 25 at 9:34 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 5:33 AM||Aug 25 at 10:33 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Aug 26 at 6:32 AM||Aug 25 at 11:32 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.