Sep 27, 1996 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Europe
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- East in North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
- Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
- Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Easter Island, Chile
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
- Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
- Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Cairo, Egypt
- Athens, Greece
- Madrid, Spain
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Moscow, Russia
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Paris, France
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Rome, Italy
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Algiers, Algeria
- Ankara, Turkey
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Brussels, Belgium
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Sep 27 at 12:15 AM||Sep 26 at 5:15 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Sep 27 at 1:15 AM||Sep 26 at 6:15 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Sep 27 at 2:21 AM||Sep 26 at 7:21 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Sep 27 at 2:54 AM||Sep 26 at 7:54 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Sep 27 at 3:28 AM||Sep 26 at 8:28 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Sep 27 at 4:33 AM||Sep 26 at 9:33 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Sep 27 at 5:34 AM||Sep 26 at 10:34 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.