Apr 24, 2005 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- South/East Asia
- Much of North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Tokyo, Japan
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Havana, Cuba
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Lima, Lima, Peru
- Caracas, Venezuela
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Santiago, Chile
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Apr 24 at 7:54 AM||Apr 24 at 3:54 AM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Apr 24 at 9:55 AM||Apr 24 at 5:55 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Apr 24 at 11:56 AM||Apr 24 at 7:56 AM||No, below horizon|
* The Moon is below the horizon in Washington DC some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.